02 March 2011

two pink lines

It's been awhile since I've posted about the adoption and how it all went down. It was my intent to get the whole thing on here in a timely manner, but alas, that is just not my style.  I am learning to accept it (I am pretty convinced there is no cure for procrastination, maybe I should give up the dream). 


Once all of our paperwork was in, our lifebook and letter approved, and everything on our end was mailed in, we would officially be in the pool of waiting families. We got the stamp of approval while we were on a last minute trip to London and I couldn't wait to get back and ship off our box of lifebooks to the agency, who would then distribute them to birthmothers looking for a good match for their baby. And that is exactly what I did.

After recovering from some serious jet lag and readjusting our nearly two year old to a normal sleep schedule (anyone for a 3am viewing of Sesame Street?), I spent an afternoon at Staples making copies of all of the colorful pages we'd put together, assembled them, boxed them and sent them off. I got the call the following Monday that we were set to go and our lifebooks were on their way to case workers throughout the state. That was March 9, 2009.

That Wednesday morning, March 11, I woke up to Lute singing in his crib, playing contentedly alone with his stuffed animals. I looked dreamily out the window at the unusually sunny day and thought about our plans that evening - a sushi night catching up with old friends. Good thing I'm not pregnant, I thought.

Wait a minute. I looked at the calendar on my phone and started counting days. Then I counted again. I remembered I had one pregnancy test left in the back of the linen closet. There is no way, I thought. We'd been trying for a year and had figured it just wasn't the right time. 

And two minutes later... two pink lines.
My palms got clammy, perspiration covered the back of my neck. I shakily dialed Nick's work number. 

"Hey, hon," he answered.
"Um, hey. Hey. I, uh, well, I need to tell you something, but it's so dumb to tell you on the phone, but I, uh, well..."
"Are you pregnant?" I could hear him smiling, incredulous. 
"Well... yeah." I said, my face getting hot. I was excited and shocked and basically had four million questions running through my brain.
"Wow, I can't believe it... That is awesome." 
"Yeah, it is. I mean, we can't do sushi tonight, obviously. Should I tell them I have the flu? And well, we just got on the adoption list. And I can't believe I am telling you this over the phone. I should probably get Lute up..."
He laughed. "Honey, this is great. Don't worry, we'll figure it all out."

And we had to because everyone we would tell would have the same questions. Would we still adopt or put it on hold or forget it all together? Would the agency even still consider us with a baby on the way? Would a birthmother want us to be her baby's parents or would she worry that our focus would be elsewhere? Could we manage two babies at the same time? 

I didn't know. I knew I still wanted to adopt, yes. For sure, without a doubt, no question. But when and how and could we?

Well, we would soon find out.


  1. Wow! Your story is amazing! Congrats on the pregnancy. I am sure it will all work out for the best for you. Hubs and I are also TTC and wanting to adopt. Thanks for stopping by my blog and have a wonderful night!

  2. I STILL love this story. Eddie is SO blessed to have been adopted into your family - and I'm sure you feel like you are the blessed one! Also, I love telling your story to others. Gets a laugh + a shocked facial expression every single time.

  3. Such a BEAUTIFUL story, Carina! I still need to meet my two handsome cousins! Thank you for sharing with all of us just how much your life has been blessed with this amazing story, the birth of George and adoption of little Eddie! :)
    Live you all! Gotta run and look up some cheap flights to Seattle now.. i really want to come visit!

  4. Carina,
    What a great story. It must have been so emotional that morning as you took the pregnancy test. Especially after a year of trying, and all the emotions that go along with the adoption process.
    I can't wait to read the rest of the story.

  5. So I just came across your blog on the sits site and what a great story!! That must be like the best feeling in the world to find out your pregnant after all that time! congrats!
    come check out my new blog when you get a chance!

  6. WOW...I just found your site from SITS! How exciting and overwhelming all at the same time :) Now I'm following so I can find out what happens!!

  7. Wow, I never knew you told Nick on the phone! That's hilarious! Love reading about all of this Carina...and I'm so blessed to have Eddie as my grandson...and Lute and George. Love you all!

  8. What a gripping story...I've got goosebumps. Hurry up and write the next part!
    Found you through SITS.

  9. What a wonderful story and I am so happy that this is the first I've read of you (but shame on me for not finding you sooner!).

    Thank you for finding me today, I can't wait to read how it all continues (PS: I'm your newest follower).

  10. What a wonderful, happy miracle! Congratulations!

  11. You will love the Tim Tam Slam. Let me know what you think.

  12. I am visiting from SITS I am so HAPPY for you… it amazing the blogging world can do… I am sure you must be very EXCITED. I was all hot and thrilled reading your post. I wish you all the very best and hope to visit again soon so please keep things posted… big HUG from our family to you again wish you all the very best…

  13. What a wonderful story! I got tears in my eyes reading it. I'm looking at a picture of Eddie right now while I type this and what an absolutely stunning boy he is! I'm glad everything worked out the way it did for you and Nick!

    Cheers :-)
    - CoconutPalmDesigns